|It's easy to make homemade lotion. (Shawn Campbell)|
Homemade Lotion Ingredients
- 1-2 tablespoons beeswax
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil (or jojoba oil)
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 1 cup mineral water or rose water
- few drops of essential oils (optional)
- contents of a vitamin E capsule (optional)
Use the lower amount of beeswax for a more fluid lotion and the higher amount for a creamier lotion. You can substitute olive oil for one of the other oils, but keep in mind it does not have as long of a shelf life and will affect the color of the lotion (which might be good, depending on what you want). Essential oils could include lavender, chamomile, or neroli. You can add them for fragrance and therapeutic effects or omit them to make an unscented lotion.
Make the Homemade Lotion
- Ideally, the first step should be to sterilize the container you will use to store the oil. This helps prevent any bacteria or mold from growing in the lotion and is generally more hygienic. Do this by immersing heat-safe bottles or jars in boiling water. Alternatively, you can run the containers through a dishwasher to eliminate most microorganisms.
- In a double boiler (or a bowl sitting in a pan of hot water), melt together the beeswax and oils. Once melted, let the oil mixture cool enough that it is safe to handle.
- Pour the water into a blender. Turn the blender on a high speed.
- Slowly pour the oil into the blender. This creates an emulsion, which incorporates the oil and water in a way that won't separate.
- If you are using them, add essential oils or vitamin E last.
- This is your lotion! Pour it into the container you have prepared. Keep the lid closed when you aren't using it to keep it clean.